The Hoop and Grapes was built in 1721 on part of the historic burial grounds of St Bride’s Church. As an inn, it gained notoriety as a location for illegitimate Fleet weddings.
In the 1990s, it underwent several changes and was eventually closed down and scheduled for demolition. However, as the last surviving pub with a history of Fleet weddings, the pub was given a stay of execution and became a Grade II listed building. The surrounding buildings weren’t so lucky and so The Hoop was given a steel covering to protect it and help it stay up until the new buildings are in place.